People often call and ask for an appraisal when what they want is our verbal opinion of the value so they can sell the item. “An appraisal is not a personal opinion about value based on the appraiser’s worldly experience. It is a researched thesis (written document) in which you assert an opinion about the economic exchange value of the item…” (Durkin)
Barrett Street provides written certified appraisals for personal property of every nature including household furniture, antiques, and business and industrial equipment. Our appraisals are written documents describing the item to measurements, condition, age, and rarity with supporting comparables and pictures of each item. We understand the difference between liquidation value, fair market value, and replacement value. Our appraisals range from a single item to an entire estate. Barrett Street will also provide you with our verbal opinion of what WE would pay for the item.
Barrett Street’s professional staff currently holds the following educational designations in the field of Appraising by the National Auctioneer’s Association (NAA):
- University of Virginia, B.S., McIntyre School of Commerce
- Old Dominion University, Masters of Public Administration
- Mendenhall School of Auctioneering Auctioneer
- A Graduate Certified Auctioneer Institute (CAI)
- Accredited Auctioneer of Real Estate (AARE)
- Auction Technology Specialist (ATS)
- Benefit Auctioneer Specialist (BAS)
- Certified Estate Specialist (CES)
- Graduate Personal Property Appraiser (GPPA)
- Master Personal Property Appraiser (MPPA)
- Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice Designations (USPAP)
Contact our staff at any of the following numbers to ask about our Appraisal Service:
Durkin, Roger. The Appraiser as Expert Witness. Page 8. Print.